Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fab Recipe: Red Velvet Cupcakes

Photobucket


Very few people know that we cook. Well I am more of a baker but my sister (Nikah) she is more of a cook. Since that is something else that we love to do we decided that we would start sharing a few of our fave recipes. For Easter I decided to test out a new recipe that I came across for red velvet cupcakes. I got the recipe for the cupcakes from food network, it was featured on the episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay vs the Cakeman (that episode always makes me think of making the band). I tried Bobby Flay's recipe and a cream cheese frosting that I found on allrecipes.com.

Overall the cupcakes turned out pretty good, it reminded me of more of a light red velvet, it was not as rich but still pretty tasty. The cupcakes got pretty good reviews from everyone that ate them, however I am still on the quest for the perfect Red Velvet recipe (I will probably try Paula Deen's next). I included the recipe below that I made the cupcakes with, let me know how they turn out or if you have a fave red velvet recipe in the comments ;-)

Cake:
  • 3 3/4 cups AP Flour
  • 3 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
Cream Cheese Frosting

  • Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:



  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened



  • 1/4 cup butter, softened



  • 2 tablespoons sour cream



  • 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract



  • 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
  • No comments:

    ShareThis

    Blog Widget by LinkWithin